Saturday, August 28, 2010

Goonies Never Say Die


The Goonies was the first movie I ever saw more than once in the theater. I actually saw it three times in the theaters in the summer of '85. And we were heavy into playing D&D at the time, as I'd gotten my Mentzer Basic Set as a birthday present in December of '84.

Somehow, though, it took me until at least '87 or '88, when I had the Companion Set, to finally draw up One Eyed Willy's caves as a dungeon. Don't know what took me so long. Anyway, here are a couple scans of the dungeon. I don't know where the Fratelli family's stats are. I made Ma a Magic-User and the brothers Thieves, but other than that I don't remember.

The adventure notes are keyed on the maps, but they're in pencil and 20+ years old, so sorry if they're a bit hard to read. Fans of the movie should enjoy them, though!



8 comments:

  1. Mr. Laffey, you have made my weekend!

    These are incredible - many, many thanks for posting them online.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man, that is cool. I always thought the Goonies would make a nice inspiration for a D&D dungeon. On a similar note, one of the only "olden days" maps I still have is of a dungeon where several traps and secrets are ripped right out of Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (invisible bridge, revolving fireplace door, etc.) I must have just seen it recently when I drew that up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is amazing! I think the last time I saw it must have been a christmas repeat in 87 or something, but just looking at your map brought out a load of memories - the organ made of human finger bones? if I remember correctly. Andy had to play the right notes or bad stuff happened. Brilliant film. I don't want to watch it again in case it's not as good as I remember.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is really cool. Goonies never say die!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome! May I use the map for my own adventure?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure, as long as you don't plan to publish it.

      Delete
    2. Thank You! I am only going to use it for a game with my nephews via zoom as they live in Colorado and I live in Michigan. I don't think they've ever seen the movie so it'll be good run for them.

      Delete