Thursday, March 17, 2022

Bartertown

 I'm working up notes for a play-by-post Gamma World game. The home town will be fairly primitive, just having barely reached Tech Level II (early Bronze Age) but there are some definite Tech II and even a Tech III (Medieval) settlement nearby. Plus a market in the Tech III settlement run by Restorationists where artifacts can be bought and sold...the only catch being that the Tech III society is ruled over by the Knights of Genetic Purity. There is a trade town nearby as well, which takes domars (cash in Gamma Terra), but the home town will be only barter based. Junk from ruins will be a prime means of acquiring things, but time and effort also play a part. A day's food? How about you give me that shiny doo-dad you picked up in the ruins. Want a new spear? Plow my field for me.

I plan to have notes for important NPCs of what they have, what they need, what they want in trade. But for less important NPCs, or when the PCs want something I haven't considered, I made a Barter Table. Figured I might as well share it with you guys. Never know when this might come in handy. It could work for D&D or other games, too, really. Just replace junk with something relevant to the campaign.

Barter Table


NPC Wants (roll 1d6):

Players Want:

1

2

3

4

5

6

Food (1 meal)

1 junk

1d3 junk

1d2 labor

1 service

1d3 goods

nothing

Water (days)

1 junk

1 labor

1 goods

clothes

nothing

nothing

Labor (1 hour)

1d3 junk

1 labor

1 creature

1 meal

1d4 water

nothing

Service (1 hour)

1d6 junk

1 bauble

1d3 meals

1d2 labor

1d3 goods

nothing

Clothes

1 junk

1d4 junk

1d2 labor

1d3 goods

nothing

nothing

Lodging

1d4+1 junk

1d6 labor

1d4 service

1 creature

1d3 meals

nothing

Goods (Tech I)

1d4 junk

2d4 junk

1d6 meals

1d10 labor

1d2 goods

nothing

Goods (Tech II)

2d6 junk

3d6 junk

2d4 meals

2d6 labor

2d6 goods

no trade

Goods (Tech III)

2d10 junk

3d12 junk

2d10 meals

2d8 labor

4d6 goods

no trade

Weapon (Tech I)

1d10 junk

2d6 labor

2d6 service

4d4 goods

1d8 meals

nothing

Weapon (Tech II)

3d4 junk

3d6 labor

4d4 service

1d3 creatures

3d8 goods

no trade

Small Creature

1d8 junk

1d6 meals

1d6 water

1 creature

2d4 goods

nothing

Medium Creature

2d8 junk

1d4 labor

1d4 service

2d6 goods

4d6 goods

no trade

Large Creature

3d8 junk

2d6 labor

2d4 service

1d6 creatures

4d10 goods

no trade

Junk: On average, 1 curiosity = 20 junk/5 baubles; 1 bauble = 4 junk; 

Labor/Service in hours; labor = physical work, service = mental work

Goods: 1 Tech III item = 10 Tech I items or 3 Tech II items. 1 Tech II item = 1d3 Tech I items

Nothing: free if NPC is friendly, will not trade if hostile; No Trade: will not part with item

7 comments:

  1. There had better be a Thunderdome....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool! I hadn't thought of a table like this but I may have to ste...uh, errr I mean...borrow this idea for Delving Deeper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't have posted it if I didn't want to share! Now, what will you trade me for it? ;)

      Delete
    2. Haha....fair! Hmmm...how about 2d6 junk, 3 water, and this item that may or may not have a use? ( At least I haven't been able to figure it out...)

      Delete