Sunday, January 9, 2022

2E: The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

James M. has a new post up where he re-evaluates 2E AD&D. I read it, and the comments section (up to time of writing anyway) and it certainly seems to have got people thinking. And instead of write a big long comment there, I figured I would put some thoughts here on my own blog. And yes, I will be continuing with my ideas about Prince of Nothing's axioms on what makes old school D&D old school D&D, but not tonight. 

I've mentioned many times here that I started with the Mentzer BECM books (minus Immortals), but my cousin had a lot of the 1E AD&D books. We messed around with it a bit, but other than the occasional monster or magic item, we tended to keep D&D and AD&D separate back then (mid to late 80s), and when 2E came out, he picked up the PHB but it was mostly just a curiosity for us -- hey, it has arquebuses! Bards are a class instead of some crazy hard to qualify for dual classing monstrosity with unclear rules! I don't think he got much more of the 2E stuff, since it was more or less compatible with 1E, which he already had and hardly played. BECMI was our jam.

In the mid to late 90s, before I moved to Japan, I was working at Waldenbooks (remember those?) and was able to purchase books at a substantial discount (but not making enough to really afford lots of books, not that that stopped me!). I got into a group that ran AD&D, but it was a weird hodge-podge of 1E and 2E because the games were something like 90% compatible. And so when I could, I picked up the black cover core 2E book revisions. The plus side? The Monstrous Compendium was an actual book instead of a bunch of loose leaf binder pages. Down side? Not sure there is one (other than it being 2E, if you're a 2E hater!). 

I was never a huge fan of the 2E rules, but I'd never read through the entirety of the 1E books, so I never really knew what I was missing (at the time). I enjoyed 2E well enough, but like I said, the game I played in was not pure 2E. Half-Orcs & Assassins, UA Barbarians and Cavaliers, 1E OA, Illusionists as either their own dedicated class or as a mage specialization (not that anyone played an Illusionist that I recall). And it worked. My original group had pretty much used the BECMI engine with 1E classes/spells/monsters/magic items bolted on when we played 1E. And with the Evansville group, we just used whatever worked from 1E and/or 2E. And when I ran an OA campaign for them, we used 1E OA, the 2E Complete Ninja's Handbook, and my DMing was still basically BECMI procedures. And again, it worked just fine.

I've cracked open the 2E books from time to time over the years. I've pulled a few things from it into my TSR house rules. Would I play it straight? Probably not. But there are some good things in it. Here is my VERY SUBJECTIVE and incomplete (because it's late and I want to get this done and go to bed) evaluation. 

The Good: 

The rules are a lot easier to read and understand than 1E, and the books make good references. Like BX, in that regard, and like BECMI in that they serve as a good tool for learning the game without a group to teach you (to an extent). 

I like the way they keep classes fairly simple, but with lots of options for customization. Obviously anyone who has downloaded Flying Swordsmen or purchased Chanbara knows that I like kits/subclasses! Did they go overboard with splat books? Of course they did. But the concept of the kit to offer a small customization to the main class is still a good one. 

Illustrations for every monster! 

Consolidation of a lot of spells, magic-items, and monsters that were scattered around different books in 1E. Again, makes for a good reference.

Some general cleaning up and streamlining of rules for combat (closer to Classic D&D, but not quite).

I really like the single class Bard in 2E. It's far from a powerhouse, but it has style (although yes, the picture is kinda cringe). Also I liked, at the time, the customization of Thief skills by point allocation. Makes leveling up take a bit longer, but being able to specialize your Thief as the lock-picker or sneak or pickpocket was nice, and not overly complicated.

The Bad: 

Too much emphasis on creating a story for the players, and enforcing it with railroads and XP awards for compliance. Now, I know a lot of people were big fans of all the settings TSR put out back then. There's definitely some cool stuff out there. But the focus on story awards and RP awards really made 2E the mother-may-I edition of D&D, if played by the book. 

The endless stream of splat books. Some were good. Some had good things in them. There was just too much, junking up what was otherwise a nice, streamlined version of the game. 

The non-weapon proficiency skill system became the default. It has some problems, but I don't have time to go into them now. In brief, too limiting and created too much focus on ability scores, that has lasted through three WotC editions.

The Ugly:

The art, as James M mentioned in his post linked above, was much more technically well executed, but not always as evocative as in previous editions. Some of it was, but not a lot. I do appreciate that they put in full page, full-color art plates. And, as I mentioned above, every monster had a picture. But a lot of those pictures are pretty blah. And they're just the monster in a white field, no context. 

The "cleaning up" of the rules. BECMI gets some shade thrown its way for sanitizing the game for kids, but 2E turned that up to 11. Now, Half-Orcs and Assassins aren't 100% necessary for a D&D game. Neither are devils/demons (not in BX or BECMI, after all). But the emphasis on having to play heroes, and avoiding things that might make parents upset -- that is really what makes this game so different from other TSR editions. But as with my experiences with the game, if you run it like Classic or 1E, it still has all the old school charm. 

The technical manual tone, while good as a teaching tool and reference, is just not that evocative. BECMI taught me how to not just run a game, but to create dungeons and wildernesses. 1E has all sorts of random stuff that adds to world building and immersion. With 2E, you need supplements and splat books for that.

_________________________

In the end, I think the too strong story emphasis is what keeps me from returning to 2E for more than just inspiration for a few things to grab for my own Frankenstein-edition. That's the biggest flaw. Splat books and bland art can be ignored (and again, the Rules Cyclopedia for BECMI is much like 2E in that it's a great rules reference, but bland appearance -- no surprise, as they came out in the same era).

7 comments:

  1. I missed 2E almost entirely when it came out. I mean, I owned it but I don't think I ever played it as I had already given up on D&D.

    I had essentially gone from 1E to 3E many years later when it came out. At the same time, my ex-wife and I bought a number of the 2E sourcebooks and supplements, merging them with 1st, 3rd, and eventually 3.5 in a kitbash that I'm sure would give most diehard D&D fans nightmares.

    Never understood the disdain for it. When it was out it was absolutely all the rage her in New York among the Dungeons & Dragons gamers I knew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you. When it was out, it's what people had access to, and I don't remember people claiming that it wasn't D&D. When 3E came out, it was similar for a few years. A small number of people on Dragonsfoot and a few other places (and not everyone on those forums) were saying 3E wasn't D&D. Then BFRPG, OSRIC, and Labyrinth Lord came out, and suddenly there was a big push to define whether or not 2E was "old school" or not.

      Delete
    2. I feel like the 'old school' movement or whatever you wish to call it was more in response to 4E, a game barely recognizable as Dungeons and Dragons.

      I don't remember much flack over 3E either.

      Delete
    3. Well, it started in the 3E days. 4E came out in 2008. In 2006 I was fed up with 3.5, looking at BECMI again, and following development about OSRIC and BFRPG. The scene really blossomed in the 4E years though.

      Delete
  2. Oh man, 2E.

    I learned to play D&D from a mishmash of 1st edition stuff and a J. Eric Holmes book all borrowed from my local library, but 2E was what was on the shelves at Hobbytown and similar places when I got my stuff together.

    I was a kid, so I wasn't super critical/analytical of the game. 2e captured my imagination with Elmore's art. I think maybe the technical manual style writing probably helped 10 year old me digest it.

    I ran 2E from like 6th grade until I was a senior in high school. Nostalgia is a hell of a drug, so I give 2e passes on quite a lot. The PHB series was a mixed bag... I thought the Priest's Handbook and build-a-pantheon tools were great. I thought the Wizard's Handbook and the concept of wizards taking a university style class called "An Introduction to First Level Magic" was ridiculous.

    I tried to love Skills & Powers. I never looked at Combat & Tactics until I was an adult, and I was super shocked to see that it was the prototype for the D20 combat system. I wonder if I would've been all in during my innocent D&D-Can-Do-No-Wrong phase?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that "if you run it like Classic or 1E, it still has all the old school charm" is what ended up making my it favorite for so long. I had been playing AD&D for almost 10 years when I picked up 2e and I didn't think of it as another version of the game so much as a restating of the original rules, albeit with a few tweaks, in a clearer and better organized format, and that's how we played it. The loosening of the racial level limits didn't matter because if anyone in my group played a non-human it was in a class that had a high or no level limit to begin with. After experimenting with them we stopped using half-orcs or assassins as PCs and we kept them as NPC races and classes along with anti-paladins and other Dragon goodness.

    I didn't reckon that 2e had invalidated the older books, so we still had devils and demons from the MM--in fact I never bothered to pick up the later version of that book.

    The non-weapon proficiencies took secondary skills up a notch which was nice, if not especially well done, and the breaking down of clerics into gods-specific priests and magic-users into schools-specific practitioners generalized the druid and illusionist cases and was a nice improvement in that regard.

    I had not quite parsed out the complete combat rules of 1e and nobody then I played with used them as written (as I do now). They're not terribly practical without automating a character sheet in spreadsheet, if you ask me. I have done that now and enjoy using them, but couldn't do that back in '82.

    Reflecting on it now, I think for the most part the PH added value, while the DMG destroyed value.

    The best thing this edition did for my game was open my eyes to the fact that it is a toolkit for making a game rather than being a game in and of itself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "The best thing this edition did for my game was open my eyes to the fact that it is a toolkit for making a game rather than being a game in and of itself."

      I had a nebulous grasp of this concept from BECMI and the RC, but I agree, 2E helped to finalize that idea for me. Maybe if I'd had OE + supplements, or 1E and a bunch of Dragon Magazines (I didn't), I would have realized that earlier. But spot on about the modular nature of 2E, even with only the core books and all the optional rules spelled out.

      Delete