Friday, December 10, 2021

Kensei Compromise

A couple days ago, I presented my modified Fighter class and the Kensei subclass. Neither I nor Jeremy, who is playtesting the class in my West Marches game, were 100% satisfied with the class, but for different reasons. 

Well, we may have come to a mutually agreeable compromise, thanks to a bit of input from JB. 

Aside, I would have just replied to JB's comment, instead of making a new post, but for some reason Blogger isn't letting me comment on my own blog. Whacha gonna do? Google, am I right? :/ 

So, the proposal I made involves two things Jeremy asked for (but not exactly as he asked for them), one thing I suggested, and something JB suggested. 

All Fighters, regardless of subclass, get a Parry ability (sorta like Shields Shall Be Splintered, but without the loss of gear, 1/day). AD&D style multiple attacks per level vs low HD opponents. At 4th level, a Combat Style (like a feat in 3E+ editions). At 8th and 12th levels, one additional attack per round against higher HD opponents. At 9th level, the Smash attack (-5 to hit, add Str score to damage). 

Kensei now get proficiency with all weapons, but +1 to hit and +2 damage with their signature weapon, and -2 to hit with any other weapons they might use. They can select unarmed strikes for the signature weapon if they want. Finally, the signature weapon does a minimum 1d6 damage (so daggers, shuriken, clubs, etc get a small boost if you go that route).

They don't get any armor or shields, but get a set AC score by level, plus Dex bonus if any. It starts at 14 (6 descending) and goes up +1 every odd level. 

I got rid of whirlwind attack, and instead at 9th level they get Smash as all other Fighters do, plus their signature weapon bonuses go to +3/+3, as with AD&D double specialization. They also get to select a second Fighting Style (something none of the other subclasses get). 

I think that's good enough. Jeremy seems to approve as well. We'll try it and see how it goes.


3 comments:

  1. I'm glad my input helped. Let us know how the rules work out (playtesting always shows the cracks).
    : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to break in on this post, Dennis. You can delete this comment or not approve of it; I wondered if I might get your email. I have a proposition. My email is alexiss1@telus.net.

    ReplyDelete