Tuesday, July 21, 2026

Encouraging Exploration

 

Amae (Aurelian) and the good folks at the TTRPG in Korea Discord server are again hosting an online Summer Con, coming up at the end of August. I've volunteered to help with organizing this time, since I've got a bit of experience from the BTGC last fall. So far, I haven't had to do much.

I pitched one Treasures, Serpents, & Ruins game (Ruby), using an old adventure I wrote back when I was still in Japan. It's been updated and modified along the way. Actually, I think I used to give it away as a free download here on the blog in the old days. 

I also pitched, since the New GM workshop was cancelled at the Busan Con this past spring, a workshop about exploration-based play. It will be based on the main gist of my New GM workshop idea. Trying to get younger/newer players out of the mindset that they need to craft a story before they can run a game. 

But since it's a general workshop, I'll also be trying to give player advice to help players think and explore the fictional worlds of our games more, rather than just waiting for the next crumb of a plot hook from the GM. Themes/topics may include: 

Dungeon Crawls

Hex Crawls (including West Marches style play)

XP for Gold

Diagetic Problem Solving through Questions and Detailed Observation

Sandbox Play 

Setting Up a (small & contained at the start) World, Not a Story 

No comments:

Post a Comment