Saturday, September 11, 2010

Adventure!


Got ahold of both King Solomon's Mines and Allan Quatermain and the Lost City of Gold. The Richard Chaimberlain/Sharon Stone Indiana Jones craze cash-in films from the mid-80's.

Yes, they're B quality cinema. Yes, they retain quite a bit of H. Rider Haggard's racist views (although in both books upon which these movies were based, he's actually fairly progressive for his late Victorian times...). But they sure are a lot of fun, if memory serves.

Maybe the nostalgia bug will bite me in the ass after watching them, and I'll see them for how terrible they really are. Or maybe I'll sit back and enjoy a nice pair of evenings with the wife, after the little guy's gone to bed, basking in the campy fun.

Either way, I expect this to have an effect on my ideas for cool 'specials' to add to my megadungeon.

5 comments:

  1. How strange... I just watched both of these over the past few days after not seeing them for years. And, yes, I got some good ideas for D&D from the various locations in the movies. They are cheesy movies, but a lot of fun too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't seen these in ages, but I have a feeling I'd still find them entertaining. Of the two, I'm thinking I always liked Lost City of Gold a bit more. Gotta love Swarma!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still love the Hammer version of "She" but I'm a sucker for Hammer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. King Solomon's Mines was a bit of a disappointment. Man, the humor in that just doesn't fly 20 years later.

    I remember it as being nearly as exciting as Raiders of the Lost Arc when I was young, but it's fairly slow moving, actually, despite all the hustle and bustle, and half of the scenes with the bad guys serve no purpose other than to tell lame jokes.

    Well, fingers crossed that LCoG will hold up a bit better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Uh oh, and you thought the *first* one was slow moving! ;) I mean... ahem.. enjoy the show!

    ReplyDelete