Thursday, March 18, 2010

Korean TV...uh, no thanks

My wife's engrossed in yet another daily KBS 8:20 melodrama. It's different from the last one in that no one in this one, to my knowledge has amnesia (yet). Otherwise, we're looking at another 6-8 months of relatively similar blah blah blah.

I do kind of wish my Korean was better than my current weak level (I'm still better than my 2 year old son, but he's poised to pass me up soon). There are plenty of 'period dramas' and while some are more concerned with the courtly politics and romance, quite a few are action oriented.

Back when I lived in Japan, there were a few of the 'jidai geki' (samurai shows) that I liked to watch. Sure, they're formulaic (every episode of Abarenbo Shogun):



Shogun goes in disguise into town, finds out a daimyo is up to bad shit.
Confirms that said daimyo is up to no good. But as shogun, he's powerless because he'll upset all the other daimyo if he steps in.
Goes to confront said daimyo in his disguise. Daimyo laughs at the 'ronin' challenging him.
Shogun says, "Take a good look at my face." Daimyo recognizes him and realizes he's up shit creek, so he orders his men to attack.
Men attack 1 or 2 at a time, or else shogun's ninja bodyguards join the fight. Ass is kicked, end of show.


But darned if I didn't find them fun to watch, and they made me want to play an OA game (which I did with 3E for a while).

No comments:

Post a Comment