Thursday, August 2, 2012

From Osten Ard to Narnia to Westeros, all in a day.

I'm just about finished reading Stone of Farewell, the second volume in Tad Williams' Memory, Sorrow and Thorn series.  I'm really enjoying the deliberately archaic "what if Middle Earth were more Arthurian?" vibe of the series.  I'm looking forward to the next "book in two volumes" conclusion to the series.

This morning, while reading it, my son asked me to close my book.  He then pointed to the bookshelf and asked me (in Korean IIRC, maybe Japanese, but I'm sure it wasn't English - am I proud of my trilingual 4-year-old?  Hell yeah!  But I digress...), "What's that tiger book?"  Looking up, he was pointing to my collected single volume Narnia series, which has a picture of Aslan (from the movies) on the spine.  "Read it," he said to me, in English this time.  So we read the first chapter of The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe.  Planning to read Chapter 2 tomorrow.

Finally, to Westeros.  I've downloaded the second season of Game of Thrones.  Planning to start watching it as soon as I finish this blog post.  Also, this afternoon I took some of my students to the local English Library, and found A Dance with Dragons on the shelves.  As I haven't read it yet, I checked it out.  Now I need to get Stone of Farewell finished soon, so I can read all 1000 pages of aDwD in two weeks!  Good thing I've still got a few days of vacation left!

1 comment:

  1. I've read The Dragonbone Chair and The Stone of Farewell as well, and I need to get back on the Osten Ard horse and finish that series up!

    ReplyDelete