Monday, April 11, 2011

At the temple last Sunday

Last weekend, the family and I went to a Buddhist convent in one of the satellite cities of Busan.  Not much of interest to report, but I took several pictures of these statues at the foot of a bridge right in front of the temple.



My son straddles the beast!
It's a Pi-Hsi, a Chinese mythical dragon-turtle.  Likely the inspiration for the D&D monster.  You can read more about it here, at Monstropedia, a pretty useful little website (even if a lot of the text does seem to be culled from Wikipedia).

I've got a write-up of this monster for Flying Swordsmen RPG, but it's on my netbook and I don't feel like powering it up right now.  Maybe tomorrow I'll edit in the stats.  They'll work well enough with your favorite flavor of the world's most popular fantasy roleplaying game (except maybe not if your favorite's 4E).

3 comments:

  1. No time like the present to being training the "turtle riding" skill

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dennis,

    My name is Catherine Meyers, I'm the admin of a web blog directory, while reading your blog and it's very interesting articles (love this pics, your little son is really cute), I was wondering if you might be interested in a link exchange (no money involved), I would link you in my directory so people that visit it, will also visit your web and in exchange you put a link to my website anywhere you like in your blog. Please let me know if you are interested and the best of luck with "What a Horrible Night to have a Curse".

    Regards

    Cathy

    ReplyDelete